Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Cerclage in Place

I had my cerclage put in on Friday morning and so far all is going well.  We went in for the procedure and had to check in at 5:00 a.m.  We got checked in and put in a room in our own room in Labor and Delivery (that was awkward) and nurses were in before long to check CB's heartbeat and had to chase him or her all over the place and the monitor got kicked multiple times (we could actually hear it).  We had a good laugh about that. 

It took 3 different nurses and 5 different attempts to get my IV in place.  A spot on my right arm STILL hurts today.  At one point, Dr. Mirabile was in my room and saw 3 nurses and told them that if they didn't get it by the next time that they needed to stop poking on me and get my anesthesiologist up there to do it. 

Right at 7:00 a.m., they rolled me out of my room and down to surgery.  I had my spinal block done and was in the stirrups within minutes.  The procedure took about 30 minutes from start to finish and Dr. Mirabile said it was very easy and went fantastically!  That made me happy. 

I really had to focus on not freaking out when I got in the operating room.  I knew having the spinal would make me feel exactly like I did when I was getting ready for my c-section, and I vividly remember freaking out towards the end of my c-section because I don't like being able to feel my feet.  The stirrups made this experience different in a way, so that made it a little easier.

After I was rolled back in my room, Adam was quickly asleep and I dozed off and on.  Again, it reminded me of post c-section because my nurse was in and out.  I started getting feeling back in my legs a couple of hours later and asked for something for the pain around 10:30.  Around noon my nurse got me up to try to go and use the bathroom.  I got up, got to the bathroom, but still had no feeling in my nether-regions so I couldn't do anything.  So, back to bed I went, and ordered lunch.

Right about the time my lunch arrived, I was so nauseated that I couldn't eat.  The next time my nurse came in, I told her that, and she said it was probably because of a full bladder.  She decided to go ahead and do a catheter to empty my bladder...and boy was it full!  She drained over 1100 CC's...and the pressure instantly went away and so did the nausea. 

I finally got enough feeling back to be able to go to the bathroom on my own around 3:00 and was discharged around 3:45.  I was able to walk out of the hospital and was so grateful for that.  They offered a wheelchair, but any mom who has been through loss understands that being rolled out of the hospital with no baby in their arms, it's an empty feeling.  And even though my baby is still in my belly, safe and sound, I couldn't bear the thought of using that wheelchair.  So, I walked my happy self out!

I took one more pain pill when I got home and since then I have taken Tylenol.  So, overall, I think I'm doing well!  We're almost out of the first trimester and I'm thrilled about that!


LookItsJessica said...

So happy to hear that the cerclage placement went well. I will definitely be praying for a happy and healthy rest of your pregnancy and a beautiful baby to take home at the end :)

-fellow IC BLM, Jessica

Rhiannon said...

So glad that everything went well! Keep growing big and strong, CB! <3

Allison said...

Yeah! Danae, I am so excited the procedure went so well. You did such a great job...I can just imagine all of the memories that came back during your time there. Your comment about the wheel chair reminded me of just how awful that was. I am so glad tht you were able to walk out of the hospital. :) I continue to hope and pray for you and CB (and that you will be looking lovingly into CB's sweet little face as Adam rolls you out of the hospital in about 6 months) Big big hugs!