Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, June 21, 2013

The Humor of My Day

Since finding out that Baby E is on the way, I've been talking about trying to breastfeed/pump this time around.  Cameron was formula fed, and honestly, I am one of those parents who is perfectly fine with my kid(s) being a formula fed child.  I was formula fed and so was my husband.  I like to think that we are well adjusted, healthy, and intelligent people.  Breastfeeding hasn't been something that has really appealed to me (for my own reasons...I know, breast is best...personal decision), but I know that budget wise, it would help greatly to not have to buy a can of formula every week.  Or multiple cans in the midst of trying to figure out which formula is going to work best for us.

While looking into breast pumps, I cringe at the prices, and ventured to looking on Craigslist.  I know that sounds weird, but I did.  But then, some women on a board I am a part of who all have September 2011 babies, they told me that some insurance companies cover breast pumps.  So, I thought I would look into it. 

While looking online at our insurance provider, I found that ours does indeed cover pumps 100%!  SCORE!  No Craigslist breast pump for this mommy (yes, I was seriously considering buying a lightly used one...don't judge me)!  I couldn't find the info on the providers or what we needed to do to get one, so I gave Adam an assignment...call the insurance company and ask questions.  Now, I know he has plenty of time to complete his assignment, but it absolutely drives me crazy when he waits!  I'm an instant gratification kind of girl...I want results!  You would think I would just start doing things myself, but nope!  :)

So, after 3 days, he FINALLY calls the insurance company.  He asks a few questions and then calls me at work.  He tells me that they confirmed they do cover pumps 100% and they told him that we have to get it from an approved provider (basically a medical supply store), and I have to have a prescription written from my Dr. (which I think is a little on the weird side...).  He however did forget to ask if the 100% coverage is only for a certain amount, certain type, etc.  I also wanted him to ask about breastfeeding supplies, like bags.  Do they cover any of that stuff?

So, he calls back.  When he calls the insurance company back, he gets another woman.  As he is asking the questions I've given him, the woman tells him "now, we only cover these for women"...No, really?!  We hadn't thought of that!  LOL!  He didn't know what to say to that...my response probably would have been some smartass remark (shocker!).  When he told me this I started cracking up laughing!  Like, leaned back in my chair, whole heartedly laughing!  Funniest freaking thing I had heard all day!

I'm telling the girls I work with about this and tell them the comment that the woman said, and someone says "What would Adam do with a breast pump?.........NEVERMIND, I don't want to think about that!".  Again, hilarious! 

So, now I get to talk to my Doctor on Wednesday when I see her and get this prescription written (along with a note for work to send to benefits that says I'm pregnant).  I know I'm not quite 13 weeks, but I would like to at least know what options I have, do my research, and go from there...because let's face it...I know squat about pumps.  Up until about a week ago, I didn't know what the difference between an open and closed system.

Did /Do you pump?  What kind of pump do you have/use?  Do you like it and would you recommend it?

On a side note...I'm getting more of the "I didn't know you're pregnant!" comments.  But, at the same time, the "Wow, you have lost weight and are looking great!" comments have stopped.  Since I'm at this awkward inbetween stage...I wonder how many people right now think I'm just gaining weight...:P  I'm ready to fast forward a few weeks and it actually be noticeable that I'm pregnant and not just adding fluff".

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My insurance covered the medela pump instyle advance. I was even able to select it in the metro bag. I dont think insurance would cover the hands free pump its about 100 dollars more. And i hear the suction is not as good. Medela has good cudtomer service and sent me a new pump when I felt mine was loosing suction. I pumped exclsively for 7 months and I would pump rxclusive pumping is tiring.

Tiffany said...

I used the Medela Pump in Style also and would recommend it.